This ground venison meatloaf is a great recipe! Mix deer meat with bread crumbs, spices, and eggs for an easy comfort food dinner. Top with a brown sugar ketchup glaze for the tastiest game meat recipe you can enjoy all year.
There's an awesome butcher in our area who started his own custom butcher shop. Not only do they have premium meats, but they also sell game meats. So I figured I'd buy several pounds of ground venison to see what I could make with it. Venison meatloaf is a winner! This is the best meatloaf I've ever had.
DEER MEAT IS LEAN
Ours is 120 calories per 4 ounces and less than 5% fat. Because the meat is so lean, be sure to use a meat thermometer to prevent overcooking it and drying it out! We want an internal temperature of 160 degrees. The edges cook the fastest, so always use the center to check the temp. If you make a thicker meatloaf, it will take longer to cook, just something to be aware of.
HOW TO REHEAT
Because we're using lean meat, I'd recommend microwaving, grilling on the stovetop, or air frying slices of meatloaf. You can reheat it in the oven, but you're a risk of drying it out.
I used a brown sugar ketchup glaze which I brushed along the top twice in the final phase of cooking. This was the best meatloaf I've ever had! I couldn't recommend it enough! And the glaze makes this recipe perfect!
Feel free to add any of your favorite spices to make this your own.
Sure there's a little brown sugar and panko in the recipe, but it relatively low in carbs and high in protein! 212 calories per slice, 18g carbs, and 26g protein. This would make easy meal prep for the week for a week you want something that's both comforting yet nutritious.
Onion Mixture Ingredients
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 whole white onion diced small
- salt just a dash
- 1 clove garlic pressed or diced
- 1 tbsp worcerstershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Italian spice blend
Additional Meatloaf Ingredient
- 2 whole eggs scrambled
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 lbs ground venison
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- preheat oven to 350. Saute onions in oil on medium with a dash of salt til onions are soft.
- Once onions are soft add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- After garlic is cooked add Worcestershire sauce and dried Italian herbs. Mix everything then turn off the heat. Let onion mixture cool before making meatloaf.
- Once onion mixture has cooled add everything into a bowl except the glaze ingredients. Mix everything well.
- Put meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan or form a loaf shape with your hands on a lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes before adding the glaze. You can put the glaze on now if you'd like.
- Make glaze! Mix ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar in a bowl.
- After 40 minutes of baking put half the glaze on the meatloaf and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of baking with the first layer of glaze, add the rest of the glaze and bake for 15 minutes.
- After the 15-minute timer goes off, the internal temperature should be 160 degrees. Let it cool for a few minutes, then slice the meatloaf into 8 pieces using a spatula.