These cute little cupcakes are decorated with white clouds, shaggy grass, blue sky, a big rainbow, and a shiny pot of gold! These are a great treat for St Patty's day or even a magical rainbow-themed birthday party!
I've seen several different versions of this on Pinterest and wanted to make my rainbow cupcakes have both land and sky!
What you need to decorate cupcakes
If you're a beginner at decorating cakes and cupcakes then this is a great way to practice!
What you'll need
- food coloring
- cake mix
- plenty of vanilla or cream cheese frosting
- piping tips & disposable piping bags
- rainbow candy strips
- gold sprinkles
Everything at one store
Walmart superstores have EVERYTHING you need.
Baking Aisle (in the grocery department):
- Boxed Cake Mix
- Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting (buy extra!)
- Airhead Extreme Rainbow Strips
Fancy Baking Aisle (near the party supplies, NOT in the grocery area):
- Cupcake Liners
- Food Coloring
I recommend the Edible Gel Food Coloring Set for Baking and Decorating, 6 oz. (12-Piece Set)
- Shiny Gold Sprinkles
I recommend Wilton Metallic Gold Sanding Sugar Sprinkles, 2.4 oz. or Wilton 4-Cell Pearlized Gold Sprinkles Mix, 3.8 oz.
- Piping Tips
I used Wilton B4 (blue sky), Wilton 12 (white clouds, came in a 4 pack), 233 (for green grass)
- Disposible Piping bags (get a bunch!)
I highly recommend buying disposable plastic cups and plastic knives. Since you'll be mixing frosting with food coloring, using plastic cups and knives will limit the clean-up. Granted, this project has us only mixing up two batches of color (blue for the sky and green for the grass) I still find it nice to minimize the clean-up.
*Walmart does sell cupcake holders in the fancy baking section but I bought a 100 pack of cupcake containers for $20 on Amazon.
Cupcake tins! Buy some if you don't have any.
Assembling Cupcakes (video below!)
- Bake cupcakes & let them cool completely
- Mix a cup of frosting with blue food coloring to create the element of sky
- Mix a cup of frosting with green food coloring for grass
- Fill 3 piping bags with frosting: Wilton B4 (blue sky), Wilton 12 (white clouds, came in a 4 pack), 233 (for green grass). *use any piping tips you have. My recommended piping tips are not required. It just looks nice having different textures from different tip styles.
- Start with adding blue frosting to half of the cupcake then add green to the other half
- Add a line of clouds with white frosting across the green and blue sections. One line of clouds on each side.
- Cut a little bit off the end of the rainbow strip candy. Your rainbow will sag if the candy strip is too long. Anchor each end in the clouds.
- Add a little bit of white frosting to the top of a rolo and dip it in gold sprinkles. Place your pot of gold under the rainbow.
Need More Recipes?
- 2 Ingredient Fudge (with condensed milk)
- 2 Ingredient Fudge (with Frosting)
- 2 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cream Cheese Coffee Foam
St Patricks Day Rainbow Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix
- 2 containers frosting vanilla or cream cheese
- 12 or more cupcake liners
- food coloring green & blue
- airhead rainbow stripes
- gold sprinkles
- 3 piping tips & piping bags
- Bake cupcakes & let them cool completely.
- Mix a cup of frosting with blue food coloring to create the element of the sky. Fill a piping bag with Wilton B4 tip and blue frosting.
- Mix a cup of frosting with green food coloring for grass. Fill a piping bag with Wilton #233 tip and green frosting.
- Fill a piping bag with Wilton #12 tip and white frosting for clouds. You won't need much of this.
- Add blue frosting to half of the cupcake.
- Add green frosting to the other half of the cupcake.
- Add a line of clouds with white frosting across the green and blue sections. One line of clouds on each side of the cupcake.
- Cut a little bit off the end of the rainbow stripe candy. Your rainbow will sag if the candy strip is too long. Anchor each end in the clouds.
- Add a little bit of white frosting to the top of a rolo's.
- Dip rolo in gold sprinkles. Place your pot of gold under the rainbow.