If you love fried green tomatoes, fried pickles, or crispy fried zucchini, then you'll love this breaded cucumber snack! With only a few ingredients, you can easily fry these up or use an air fryer. So easy!
Actually, fried cucumbers are the best way to fry veggies because you don't need to cook the actual vegetable. If you've ever fried cauliflower, you know that it must be cooked just right to ensure your cauliflower is too crunchy or overcooked (burned!).
These fried cucumbers cook up fast! Once the breading get golden they're done!
Frying up veggies is a great way to use up whatever you have in the fridge whether you're using cucumber, green tomatoes, pickles, or eggplants, you can make unbelievable snacks in minutes!
You can dip them in ranch or turn them into a crispy cucumber sandwich! So good!!!
Crispy Crunchy Breading
I made the breading two different ways and both came out perfect!
EGG & CHEESE: flour & salt mixture coating the cucumber, dipped in egg with milk, then breaded with panko, parmesan & fried chicken flour mix.
DAIRY FREE & EGG FREE: flour & salt mixture coating the cucumber, dipped in a flour/water batter, breaded with panko, flour, and spices.
Air Fry or Deep Fry
I got a deep fryer years ago as a gift. It's so easy to use. Just fill it with oil, and it regulates the temperature on its own. It works just like frying on the stovetop.
If you're using a stovetop, you don't need much oil to cook them. Shallow fry them! Frying them tastes like a restaurant-quality appetizer. I highly recommend frying!
You're welcome to air fry them. The panko breading is perfect for the air fryer. 375 degrees for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- 1 bottle vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large cucumbers sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1.5 TBSP salt or seasoning salt blend
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk dairy-free milk optional
Crunchy Top Coating
- 1 cup panko plain or flavored
- ⅓ cup fried chicken flour mix or flour with salt
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese optional
- Heat oil for frying to 350 degrees.
- Slice cucumber into medium-sized disks or any shape you'd like.
- . Grab 3 bowls. Combine dry mix into a bowl. Wisk the wet mix into its own bowl. Combined crunchy top mix into its own bowl.
- With your right hand, drop a piece of cucumber into the dry mixture. Coat all sides and shake off excess. Drop into the wet mixture.
- With your left hand, flip the cucumber around to get it well coated in the wet mixture. Shake off any excess, then drop it into the crunchy top mixture.
- With your right hand, add some crunchy mixture to the cucumber and push it into all sides. Gently remove the cucumber and place it on a baking sheet. Repeat until all the cucumber slices are coated.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the cucumber in small batches. They'll cook quickly, so remove them once golden brown. *If your oil is too cold, then the batter will come out soggy, so start with one cucumber.